When to Visit
What can you expect with the change of the seasons?
September / October / November
- Higher concentration of dolphins
- Pied shags are nesting - seen on all tours.
- Spotted shags still prevalent on many outcrops
- Late season sees massed flowers of manuka-kanuka, our 'summer snow'
- Average air temp 19°C Water temp 16°C
December / January
- The Abel Tasman's busiest time due to warm temperatures, sunny skies, great swimming and timing with national summer holidays.
- Our own christmas tree, the Pohutakawa, is in flower - seen on all tours.
- Sea breezes lend to great afternoon sailing conditions on most tours.
- Average air temp 22°C Water temp 18°C
February / March / April
- Increased seal encounters as this season moves on.
- Calmer seas
- Settled weather - still mainly shorts and t-shirt temperatures during the day.
- Average air temp 20°C Water Temp 17°C
May / June / July / August
- Provides magic paddling on settled days between 10am and 3pm.
- Sea is generally dead calm.
- Highest concentration of wildlife - seals, shags and penguins.
- You can paddle all day and hardly see another soul.
- Average air temp 14°C Water Temp 10°C